CMW Panel - Coalition Music Artist Entrepreneur



I was lucky enough at this year Canadian Music Week to be able to attend some of the Panel Discussions held at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Toronto. Usually reserved for only delegates and performers, the panels are made to educate and inform about what is needed to know to be successful in todays' industry. Although I am not an artist.. I tend to see myself as an entrepreneur,  so I was quite excited to be able to sit in on this panel. 


The panelists were all people who I am familiar with, and some whom I know personally, so it was great to be able to sit in a small room and listen to them talk about their careers, how they made it in a world where you need to have a strong sense of business, not only be able to make great music. I loved being able to listen to Eric Lawrence, the co-president of Coalition Music and Sari Delmar the president of Audio Blood, two people who I aspire to be like, speak about their journey and how to be successful in their side of the industry, then to listen to Chuck Comeau of Simple Plan, Jay Parsons of USS and Singer/Songwriter Ben Caplan speak about their sense of business and how as artists they have learned not only that it takes the music to be successful, it takes a good sense of self and business to make it.  In short, I left that 40 minute panel more educated and  more then a tad a tad inspired. 



No comments:

Post a Comment